- About Us
KVC Missouri is a nonprofit team that’s passionate about strengthening families, preventing child abuse and neglect, and helping people achieve mental wellness. Learn about KVC Missouri.
At KVC, we want every child and adult to be safe & connected to a strong family and a healthy community. We’re proud to be a leader in innovative, effective and compassionate care. See our services and programs overview.
- Positive Impact
- Get Involved
Become a Foster Parent in Missouri
You would be so good at this.
There’s a child or teen who needs someone just like YOU – and at KVC Missouri, we make sure the opportunity to foster is open to all people. You can foster a child at any stage of life, regardless of your relationship status, gender identity, income level or where you live. What matters most is how much you care. We have options that work in your life, right where you are – for exactly who you are.
Foster parents provide a safe, loving environment. It’s a meaningful opportunity to find personal fulfillment as you show a child the love and care they deserve, teach them life skills and give them support. You will experience joy and discover a greater sense of purpose in life.
The Time is Now
The reality is that the need for foster care is growing in our communities. On any given day, nearly 450,000 children in the U.S. are in foster care. In Missouri, more than 14,000 youth are in foster care hoping for a caring environment to temporarily call home while their biological family works toward reunification.
So, do you have the heart to foster a child? Say yes, and we will support you every step of the way.
We’re Changing the Face of Foster Care in Missouri
We partner with the Missouri Department of Social Services to provide foster care services throughout the state of Missouri – and we are unique among providers. Connection and caring are what we value. We provide general foster care services, including free screening, training, licensing and support. We also provide Treatment Foster Care, including training and licensing caregivers for youth who require a higher level of care.
KVC Missouri is looking for people who will open their hearts and homes to youth in need of a temporary loving and safe home. We are especially in need of compassionate individuals and families who are willing to:
- Care for youth in their adolescent and teen years
- Accept two or more siblings
- Foster youth with elevated needs
With our expertise, resources and longtime legacy of caring for children, we’re very good at what we do, and we think you will be too. Let us help you make the world a brighter place for a child or teen in need.
Criteria for Foster Parents
Being a foster parent can be an immensely rewarding experience. It’s sharing the small moments, like eating a nutritious meal together at the family dinner table. And the big moments, like developing positive relationships and high self-esteem. Above all, it’s about helping a child flourish and grow into a confident, contributing member of the community.
To become a foster parent, families or individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Any relationship status, whether single, married or cohabitating
- U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization, or provide lawful immigration status
- No criminal or child abuse/neglect record
- Financially stable
- Good physical, mental and emotional health
- A safe home environment with available space to accommodate a child
- Successful completion of all training requirements. See the Foster Parent Training/Licensing page for details
- Participate in the home assessment/evaluation process to become a licensed foster home
- Be willing to partner with the child’s biological family to support them in working toward reunification
As a KVC Missouri foster parent, you will receive:
- Training by a licensed KVC Missouri professional
- Monthly maintenance payments
- 12 days of paid vacation per year and 2 respite days per month
Supporting Elevated Needs Through Treatment Foster Care
Treatment Foster Care is a higher level of care provided for children who are in transition from residential mental health treatment or whose needs cannot be met through a traditional foster home. Generally, families that provide Treatment Foster Care have at least one year of experience.
Treatment foster homes provide highly structured, around-the-clock care. These caregivers receive extensive, specialized training to meet the elevated needs of the child, along with additional 24/7 support from KVC Missouri, in-home support services and behavioral consultations. While in the home, the child receives services supporting their treatment goals.
Learn more about Treatment Foster Care.
Support Every Step of the Way
If you’re considering becoming a foster parent, you’re never alone. KVC Missouri is here to guide and support you every step of the way. We provide our foster parents with:
- Free ongoing training and support
- 24-Hour phone support
- Health insurance for the child
- Assistance finding local resources
- A fun weekend away at our Resource Family Conference, which provides a fantastic learning experience for caregivers and children
- Reimbursement to meet the child’s needs plus assistance with back-to-school supplies and holiday gifts
Ready to take the next step?
Becoming a foster parent is a big decision. At KVC Missouri, we can answer all of your questions and talk with you about the process. Fill out this form and our team will reach out to you soon, or call us at 844-424-3577.