- About Us
KVC Missouri is a nonprofit passionate about strengthening families, preventing child abuse and neglect, and helping people achieve mental wellness. Learn about KVC Missouri.
At KVC, we want every child and adult to be safe & connected to a strong family and a healthy community. We’re proud to be a leader in innovative, effective and compassionate care. See our services and programs overview.
- Positive Impact
- Get Involved
Become a Foster Parent in Missouri
There are over 13,000 Missouri children in foster care due to child abuse, neglect or other serious family challenges, and the state is currently experiencing a shortage of adults willing to care for youth in foster care. Foster parents provide children with a safe, loving environment. It also gives you the opportunity to do something personally fulfilling as you show a child the love and care they deserve, teach them life skills, and give them support. You will experience joy and may even discover a greater sense of purpose in your life.
We are partnered with the Missouri Department of Social Services to provide foster care services throughout the state of Missouri. We provide general foster care services, including free screening, training and licensing. We also provide Treatment Foster Care for youth who require a higher level of care by training, licensing and supporting experienced caregivers.
KVC Missouri is looking for people who will open their hearts and homes to youth in need of a temporary loving and safe home. We are especially in need of compassionate individuals or families who will care for youth in their adolescent and teen years, siblings, and youth with elevated needs.
To meet general requirements in Missouri you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Complete a child abuse/neglect check and criminal record check including fingerprints
- Be in good health, both physically and mentally
- Have a stable income
- Be willing to participate in and complete a free training and assessment process
- Be part of a professional team willing to voice perspectives and concerns
- Be willing to partner with the child’s family
- Be a documented US citizen
Our website has several resources that can help you get started. Our Frequently Asked Questions page goes over inquiries like “How do I get started?” and our blog covers a range of a range of helpful topics.
Contact one of our foster parent recruiters if you have any questions.
We’ll Support You the Whole Way
If you’re considering becoming a foster parent, KVC Missouri is here to guide you every step of the way. We will provide you with:
- Free ongoing training and support 24/7, 365 days/year
- 24-hour phone support
- Health insurance for the child
- Assistance finding local resources
- A fun weekend away at our Resource Family Conference, which provides a fantastic learning experience for parents and children
- Reimbursement to meet the child’s needs plus assistance with back-to-school supplies and holiday gifts.